Why do you need a skin check?
If you live in Australia, there is a chance you will develop skin cancer or melanoma which kills over 1000 Australians per year and affects 1 in 17.
Doctors use a number of tools to examine skin thoroughly, beyond what the naked eye can see. Melanomas that are detected and treated early are cured in 90% of cases.
People aged 50 years or more have the highest rate of skin cancers.
In addition to self-checking regularly you should have a professional skin check once a year.
What should prompt a skin cancer check?
- Any person with fair skin, especially if you have ever been severely sunburnt.
- Any spot that has changed in shape, colour or size.
- A new mole that has not been there previously, especially a new mole on face.
- A small lump that is pearly and pink
- A mole that bleeds definitely needs to be checked
Dr Alana Gimpel is especially educated in the diagnosis and treatment of skin cancer and runs regular clinics each week at 28 Drummond North Medical Practice.
The appointment generally involves two visits to our clinic. On the first visit you will have a skin consultation and a full body skin examination. If the doctor finds a suspicious mole, you will be required to make another booking for a biopsy or excision.
Skin checks only take 20 minutes, this package includes:
- 12 month free skin related consults and skin check procedures
- Fees $100 out of pocket
- Over 75 years of age $50.00 out of pocket
- Wednesday, Thursday & Friday from 7:00pm- 9:00pm and Saturday 1:00pm-6:00pm
Please call our receptionist for fees for skin checks and to book the appointment!